Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Cussin' -- Elementary School Style

For some reason, the girls got to asking us about bad words at dinner last night. They don't actually know many bad words, only that they exist, so they tried to shake us down for helpful information. We particularly appreciated the way they'd beg us to tell, with the promise that they wouldn't tell anyone.

When that didn't work, they started musing.

Elegant, "Well, there's the S T word."

Pete and I looked at each other in confusion. What could S T mean?

Elegant clarified, "Stupid."

Then Graceful chimed in, "I know of two: D I and T G."

After some discussion, we ascertained that T G means "Thank God" (which we had recently told them not to say) but we couldn't figure out D I. Graceful didn't want to say it out loud, so Elegant leaned over and said, "Whisper it in my ear."

Finally Graceful clarified, "The I is for 'it' and the D is for something that a beaver builds."

Elegant, trying to figure it out, was whispering, "It Den?" [pause] "Den it?"

Later on, Graceful must have whispered it to Elegant, because I could hear Elegant gleefully saying, "Dammit, dammit, dammit!" We nipped that one in the bud.

And by the way, the girls think the F-word is "fat."

No comments: