Wednesday, March 14, 2007

3.14159

If you see large groups of nerds with pocket protectors getting together and punching furiously on their calculators today, there's no reason for alarm. Don't panic. Stay calm. It will all pass soon enough. March 14 is National Pi Day -- 3.14 -- get it? This is a day when pi fans all over the world almost wet themselves with excitement because the day matches their favorite number. They'll get particularly excited at 1:59 p.m. (See the title above.)

That's all I have. No other commentary. I just had to note this, as I saw an article on Yahoo news this morning and it struck me. I could go on and on but 1) it's just too easy and 2) in the grand scheme of things it really is a harmless hobby/profession. It's not gambling, whoring around, drugs, or even golf. No harm to it.

All the same, I'm so glad Pete isn't a mathematician or uber-geek.

No comments: