Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Darth Elegant

As a follow-up to my post about Graceful baking cookies with the principal, as well as the poem I wrote this morning about snow days:

I really and truly did let the girls eat cookies for breakfast. I don't normally roll that way, so you can imagine their surprise when they came into the kitchen and I had nearly two dozen heavily frosted cookies of all shapes and sizes on a plate and two cups of milk at the ready. Because I'm such a good parent, I also gave the girls vitamins to make the meal nutritionally complete.

Graceful, knowing I'm not normally this loose about food, looked at me with consternation and started looking for the catch. Could they really eat as many cookies as they wanted? Yes. What if they wanted to eat ALL the cookies? That's fine too. Were they supposed to have something healthy too? No, that's not necessary. She still seemed dubious. I'm surprised she didn't call 911 and report a kidnapping because I was clearly not her real mother. Elegant, on the other hand, didn't question and dug in happily. Her modus operandi is that it's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

The girls worked their way steadily through the plate of cookies. I could hear Graceful telling Elegant that they should slow down and save some for later, plus they might get sick if they ate too many. Elegant kept encouraging her sister to eat more. It was like Darth Vader trying to sway Luke Skywalker over to the Dark Side of the Force: "Come on. Just eat one more. It's okay. Mommy said so. You won't get sick." Eventually Grace succumbed to the Dark Side and ate just about as many as it's possible for an eight-year-old to consume. But, she also requested some yogurt, for good measure.

Snow days can be great.

No comments: